ScreenWriters Exchange

IndustryCentral Advertising Program

BROKEN ENGLISH
IndustryCentral ScreenWriters Exchange: Action/Adventure: BROKEN ENGLISH
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alex Stirling (Stirlina) on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 02:29 pm:

Logline: Ireland's most celebrated revolutionary is busted out of prison, then blackmailed into performing one last job in return for freedom outside of the country. When the job goes horribly wrong, he must elude deadly Irish gangsters, and unravel an assassination plot, the secret of which is known only to a young boy.
Based on the best-selling novel by David Thompson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alan A. Armer (Alana) on Tuesday, December 19, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

MODERATOR ANALYSIS

Broken English an adaptation by Alex Stirling
An exciting yarn that promises some excellent suspense. It should do well at the boxoffices.

I need to ask questions. Have you already written the screenplay based on this novel? If not, you will certainly need to get permission before you undertake the considerable task of writing a script. The publisher's address may be listed on the book jacket. If not, there's a book called "Literary Marketplace" published by Bowker which lists the names, addresses and personnel of all major publishers. You'll find it in most major bookstores.

Write to them and tell them what you need. If the publisher cannot grant you the rights, they will probably refer you to the author's agent. But rights cost money. You will probably need to take an OPTION on the property, perhaps for 6 months or a year. That's a lot cheaper.

My best advice: Hire an entertainment attorney to negotiate for you. These deals can get extremely sophisticated and complicated.

Adapting a novel isn't always as easy as it may seem. Most novels are too long and require judicious trimming before they can be adapted - trimming in plot and usually in the number of characters. And some of the story is often told internally, describing a character's thoughts. In a screenplay these thoughts must somehow be externalized.

If you've written screenplays before, you're probably aware of my warnings. If not, get yourself a good book on screenwriting before you begin. And I will be happy to offer my help if you want to visit my website.

Alex, I wish you great good luck with this exciting property.

Critique by
Alan A. Armer

Message or Comment

A valid username and password combination is required to post a storyline/synopsis or comment.
You may apply by clicking on the "My Profile" link.
Username:  
Password:

The Writers Store
Software, Books & Supplies for Writers & Filmmakers
-- WARNING --
Protect your work
The US Copyright Office
The US Copyright Office has Free Forms
Protect your work
Writers Guild of America
First Register your screenplay with the Writers Guild of America

Back  Home