ScreenWriters Exchange

IndustryCentral Advertising Program

The Eye of Rama
IndustryCentral ScreenWriters Exchange: Science Fiction: The Eye of Rama
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mark A. Brown (Cybersnark) on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 11:07 am:

Holmes' address was 221b Baker Street. I'm not sure, but I believe that that address currently houses a Sherlock Holmes museum, commemmorating the "fictional character" "created" by Conan Doyle --something that would likely amuse Holmes as much as it would offend Watson. Could be an amusing scene or a convenient place to stage Holmes' self-doubt scene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Thomas Martin Ray (Tom11) on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 09:06 am:

A Screenplay synopsis

One November night in 1898, Inspector LESTRADE calls SHERLOCK HOLMES and DR. WATSON to the Wakefield Tower in the Tower of London to help him solve a case. The ‘Eye of Rama’, a large sapphire, a gift to her majesty from the Maharaja of Uttar, has been stolen from an antechamber in the Jewell room. One of the Yeoman Guards who witnessed the theft has died of fright. No one can determine out how the thief gained entry or how he escaped with the gem.
Holmes uses the meager clues left behind to devise a way to locate a suspect. The next morning, Holmes meets Lestrade at a place where they think the suspect may be found. When the man shows up, Lestrade and Watson follow him. Holmes, meanwhile, checks the suspect’s hotel room and finds several odd items---including what we recognize as a modern calculator.
Watson returns with the news that both the suspect and Lestrade have mysteriously vanished from an old tavern basement that they had followed the suspect to. Now They have another mystery to solve.
A week later, Holmes and Watson visit the site to further investigate Lestrade’s disappearance. They see a strange red light, but think little of it. In the basement, they are intercepted by two security guards in modern uniforms who turn them over to JOHNAS TREADWELL the CEO of TRANSWORLD COMMUNICATIONS, who with the help of the guards, put Holmes and Watson in the back of an enclosed minivan and takes them out of town to an old Manor House where Transworld has a Research Lab.
Treadwell explains to them that they have been transported in time to the year 2002. Of course Holmes and Watson do not believe him and suspect that the modern appliances in the house and the furnishings are mere fabrications and “stage settings”. Treadwell provides them with a guest apartment in the house. They meet Treadwell’s Daughter, Melissa (late 20’s) who also works for the firm.
Holmes and Watson escape from the apartment later that night and are nearly killed by traffic near the M45 motorway. This convinces them that Treadwell was telling the truth after all.
Treadwell explains that secret teleportation experiments being carried out by Transworld has lead to a way to travel through time. It seems that a specially modulated LASER beam, using a NATURAL sapphire can send a person back in time and a more conventional ruby LASER can return the traveler to the present. It seems that an employee, JAMES MILHAUS, wanted the technology for himself, so he set up a ruby LASER device on a timer in an old basement and used the company’s only sapphire device to send him back into time to steal his own sapphire. He programmed the company’s sapphire to shatter after the transport so that he could not be followed. As luck would have it the police discovered the missing Ruby laser device in the basement when they were called nearby to investigate a fight. Transworld has been keeping a guard on it ever sense, hoping to catch MILHAUS when he returns. Unfortunately they have captured Holmes and Watson instead.
CHARLES STANTON, another employee, explains to Holmes and Watson that that they cannot be returned to their own time unless a suitable sapphire is found to drive the time transfer device. The only known suitable extant stone now is the “Eye of Rama”. Unless the gem is found Holmes and Watson are stranded in the 21st century.
Melissa takes Holmes and Watson to London where they get some new clothing and are taken to Transworld’s offices in the Canada Tower at Canary Wharf. While there, She gives them a group office picture that includes Milhaus, whom she points out to them. Before returning home, she takes them to one of her favorite hangouts, a gay bar, where she can “relax without having men leer at her” and thinks that the men might enjoy the place too. After an embarrassing incident, she realizes that Holmes and Watson are NOT gay and are quite opinionated on the matter.
Back home, Holmes gets depressed about being “useless” and how he has let down Lestrade and themselves. Watson convinces Holmes that his mind is still intact and to use the same tools to solve cases that he used in his own time.
Holmes takes the words to heart and finds clues in the newspaper that leads him to Lestrade---who was injured slightly by an automobile hitting him in the street, but who is confined to a mental hospital for "observation".
Holmes and Watson convince the hospital to release Lestrade into their custody. They brief Lestrade on what has happened and show him the photograph. Lestrade recognizes TWO men. Milhaus was an unidentified man found floating in the Thames with a bullet in his head a couple of days before the Eye of Rama theft, While Stanton was the man he followed into the basement. Stanton escaped his grasp and Lestrade was struck by the automobile when he ran into the street.
They get to the Manor house only to be told, by Treadwell, that Stanton had “to go see his mother who was very ill”. Holmes instructs Melissa to drive then to the London Bridge, where he is sure he knows where the gem is hidden. Hopfully, they can get it before Stanton gets there.
The bridge is GONE! Fortunately, Melissa explains that it has been moved to Arizona. Now they know where Stanton is headed. Unfortunately he has left for the US on an earlier flight. Melissa arranges passage on the Concorde for the men, her self and her father. They beat Stanton to New York and make an earlier flight to Lake Havashu in Arizona. Holmes finds the gem imbedded in a hole in one of the building stones of the bridge.
They all return to the UK. Before Stanton arrives and knows what is going on.
The stone is installed in the time device, but before Holmes Watson and Lestrade are returned, they ambush Stanton in his flat, strip him of his clothing, money and identification and send him back to 1898. Holmes says, “let events take their course”.
Holmes, Watson and Lestrade are then, later, returned to their own time. Lestrade invents a story to explain why he had disappeared and why the gem was not recovered. Holmes backs him up.
They Later learn that Stanton was arrested and put in an insane asylum.
With Holmes’ approval, Watson writes the story of their adventure and locks it away in a vault, “To be released only when its custodians feel that the public is ready to read the account.”

Copyright © 2000 By Thomas M. Ray All rights reserved

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alan A. Armer (Alana) on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 04:47 pm:

MODERATOR ANALYSIS

THE EYE OF RAMA by Thomas Ray
A delightful concept - imaginative and entertaining. Tom, I must believe you have a solid background as a creative writer.

I won't comment on the mechanics of your story. They seem to work effectively. But I wonder if you have mined all of the gold that is inherent in your intriguing concept. Some questions. Would Sherlock wear the same clothing he wore in the 1800s? People would laugh, thinking he was going to a costume party impersonating Sherlock Holmes. If, for any reason, he went to 222 ________ Street (where he once lived), he'd find instead an insurance office.

What I'm pointing to is the inherent drama that exists in a person plunged into another time period. Holmes' and Watson's problems arising from this "fish out of water" situation will give us humor, perhaps conflict, and fun that, I believe, are just as important as any of your plot gambits.

As you know, Holmes was an addict. Perhaps Melissa is not entirely unfamiliar with the drugs scene and helps Holmes get his fix - and that cements a relationship that began in conflict.

I suggest that Lestrade disagree with Holmes about many of his theories so that he can eventually change in the realization of Holmes' enormous brainpower.

Incidentally, how does Holmes know that the gem is imbedded in a hole in a stone in the (Havasu) London Bridge?

Good story. I would pay $7.50 to watch the film. I hope I get the chance.

Good luck!

Critique by
Alan A. Armer

Message or Comment

A valid username and password combination is required to post a storyline/synopsis or comment.
You may apply by clicking on the "My Profile" link.
Username:  
Password:

The Writers Store
Software, Books & Supplies for Writers & Filmmakers
-- WARNING --
Protect your work
The US Copyright Office
The US Copyright Office has Free Forms
Protect your work
Writers Guild of America
First Register your screenplay with the Writers Guild of America

Back  Home