ScreenWriters Exchange

IndustryCentral Advertising Program

The Guv
IndustryCentral ScreenWriters Exchange: Drama: The Guv
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joel Johnson (Joelj) on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 02:41 pm:

Jake Granite, a washed-up wrestler and minor celebrity, gets swept up in a grassroots political campaign that lands him in the Governor's mansion. Along the way, his growing celebrity and the lure of the spotlight distract from the job he first set out to do, allowing his proposed reforms to be hijacked by monied interests. The loss of a friend's family farm reminds him of the real reason he ran for office and he becomes the Governor his supporters hoped he would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alan A. Armer (Alana) on Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - 02:53 pm:

MODERATOR ANALYSIS

A solid concept, Joel, but I have one fear. I've produced shows that had a background of politics and they always seemed (at least to me) a little dull.

Granite is a colorful and involving character and seeing his ideals give way to celebrity fun (and money) is a strong central pattern.

I would urge you to give more thought to the family friend and the loss of his/her farm because that's where the emotion in your story lies - and the really good stories always seem to focus on emotion.

Okay, you have a solid premise. Now all you have to do is find and define your characters: the good, the bad and the beautiful.

Much good luck, Joel!

Critique by Alan A. Armer

Message or Comment

A valid username and password combination is required to post a storyline/synopsis or comment.
You may apply by clicking on the "My Profile" link.
Username:  
Password:

The Writers Store
Software, Books & Supplies for Writers & Filmmakers
-- WARNING --
Protect your work
The US Copyright Office
The US Copyright Office has Free Forms
Protect your work
Writers Guild of America
First Register your screenplay with the Writers Guild of America

Back  Home