ScreenWriters Exchange

IndustryCentral Advertising Program

Memories
IndustryCentral ScreenWriters Exchange: Drama: Memories
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kellie Doyle (Oncatwalk) on Sunday, May 21, 2000 - 10:49 am:

When Claire's grandfather dies, Claire begins to find documents among his belongings that start to piece together their family history. She begins to do a genealogical search and discovers their family ties in Ireland. She decides to go to Ireland to connect with her family roots. When she meets her distant relatives, they are a sinister and brooding bunch. She has nightmares about potato famine victims and eventually begins to see the ghosts of famine victims around the town. Through these visions, Claire learns the horrible truth of her family's involvement in the famine of the 1840s and the knowledge places her life in danger.

Comment: This is an idea I have for a script. Would there be an audience for something like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Alan A. Armer (Alana) on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 11:15 am:

MODERATOR ANALYSIS

Kellie Doyle (Oncatwalk) . . .
You ask if there would be an audience for the story you've described above. Hell, yes! Any time you can put your protagonist in trouble or in danger, you have grabbed your audience. The audience identifies with your protagnist (the more strongly the better!) so when the protagonist suffers, the audience suffers. And that's what every writer wants to happen. It's your job, Kellie, to make the audience suffer. Why else do people throng to horror flicks?

I worry that you might need a more specific reason to send Claire to Ireland. A genealogical search is probably valid if she has plenty of time and money but it's not dramatic. Something she discovers in her grandfather's papers worries her.
Maybe her mother wasn't really her mother. Maybe Claire isn't who she thinks she is. And why did her grandfather die so suddenly - apparently in the best of health? (Stuff lilke that.)

Ireland is a wonderful setting for such a story. Plenty of rain and thunder. And castles.

I'm excited. I want to read your next script. And I would pay $8.00 to see it at my neighborghood theater.

Good luck, Kellie!

Critique by
Alan A. Armer

Message or Comment

A valid username and password combination is required to post a storyline/synopsis or comment.
You may apply by clicking on the "My Profile" link.
Username:  
Password:

The Writers Store
Software, Books & Supplies for Writers & Filmmakers
-- WARNING --
Protect your work
The US Copyright Office
The US Copyright Office has Free Forms
Protect your work
Writers Guild of America
First Register your screenplay with the Writers Guild of America

Back  Home